Accidents are meant to happen unintentionally. Hence, they are known as accidents. It can be your kid who peed on the couch or your pet dog or kitten that could not wait till you took it down. However, urine stain removal from a couch or clothing won’t be complicated if you follow the right steps, and of course, use the right urine stain removal process or the products.
Here is how you can easily perform urine stain removal at home to clean pet pee stains from the couch.
Removing Pet Urine Stains (Fresh)
- Lightly blot the fresh wet urine stain with a microfiber cloth.
- This will help in removing excess urine from the couch.
- Be careful and perform the blotting gently, as pressing it too hard may spread the pet urine stain over a larger area.
(You can also use a dry/wet vacuum for the job.)
- Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the cleaning solution and gently stir.
- The purpose of adding vinegar is to break the acid in urine and disinfect the area having pet urine stain to make urine stain removal easier.
- Dip a clean microfiber cloth into the cleaning solution.
- With the microfiber cloth, gently sponge the stained area from outside to inside.
(Be careful with this step, as you do not want to spread the area of the pet urine stain.)
- Repeat the above step, if required
- Once you complete urine stain removal successfully, it is time to rinse the detergent solution, with a damp cloth.
- Gently blot the area with a microfiber cloth until dry.
Removing Pet Urine Stains (dry/old)
- Urine stain removal for dry urine stains is difficult. Hence, there is a need to use a strong cleaning solution to save on professional upholstery cleaners.
- In a bowl, add 3% hydrogen peroxide (300ml), 3 tablespoons baking soda (freshly opened) and 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid.
- Mix until the baking soda dissolves completely in the solution to create an effective urine stain removal.
[Note: Use baking soda and not baking powder.]
- Pour the cleaning solution into a spray bottle.
- Before spraying on the actual area having the pet urine stain, pre-testing it on an inconspicuous area on the couch is necessary.
- If after pre-testing there is no change in the couch colour, proceed with spraying the solution on the area having stain to proceed with the urine stain removal process.
- Spray the solution on the stained area and allow it to remain for an hour.
- If the stain does not disappear, spray the solution again.
- Once the stains disappear completely with this urine stain removal, use a damp cloth to rinse the cleaning solution.
- Blot dry with a dry cloth to remove the cleaning solution completely.
- Make sure that no detergent residue is left on the couch, as it could attract dust.
If the pet urine stain still remains on the couch after urine stain removal hacks, you will require the services of professional upholstery cleaners.