Furry friends are part of the family and many families let them up on the upholstery. Pets have a smell, which becomes difficult to remove odour if not removed.
You must be looking for easy ways to get rid of dog odour from your upholstery and here we are with effective tips and DIY hacks for upholstery cleaning:
1. Get Washable Cover for Sofa and Pillows
Cleaning covers would be easier than upholstery cleaning, isn’t it? Thus, to keep dog odour out of your couch, follow these tips:
- Get washable sofa cover
- Get removable and washable covers for sofa pillows
- Wash them regularly to not transform dog smell to unbearable dog odour
- You can add 1/4 cup of vinegar to remove the odour if there is already some
Please read the manufacturer’s warning for the covers before using the vinegar.
2. Vacuuming Needs to be in Routine
If you let the dog up often, you must spend time in upholstery cleaning daily or at least on an alternate day. Thorough vacuuming to remove dog hair can help to remove the bad smell of the dog from the couch. If you experience dog smell even after vacuuming, follow these upholstery cleaning steps:
- Sprinkle baking soda on every place of the sofa, on which, pet sits.
- Leave it overnight.
- In the morning, vacuum the sofa.
This cleaning method will remove the odour as baking soda will absorb it.
3. Use DIY Hack for Dog Odour
If above-mentioned upholstery cleaning methods fail to remove dog smell from the couch, you can use DIY hacks to remove that odour:
DIY Hack 1:
- A spray bottle
- Half cup of water
- One cup of vodka
- Vacuum cleaner
- Add water and vodka in the spray bottle and shake the bottle after closing the lid to make an effective upholstery cleaning solution.
- Spot test by spraying the cleaning solution on a spot. Let the solution sit for a minimum of an hour to see if it is safe for your upholstery fabric or not.
- If the spot test does not fade the colour of the fabric, spray the cleaning solution everywhere on the couch to remove the dog smell completely.
- Let the solution sit and work overnight.
- In the morning, vacuum the couch.
DIY Hack 2:
- A spray bottle
- Half cup of baking soda
- Half cup of vinegar
- One cup of water
- Mix water, vinegar, and baking soda in a spray bottle and shake it to mix it. It will produce foam. Use this upholstery cleaning solution after some time so it gets mixed well and settles.
- Spot test with this cleaning solution. Spray it for spot test and let it sit for an hour. Vacuum that area to complete the spot test.
- After the spot test, spray this solution on the couch and let it sit overnight.
- Let the solution dry and then vacuum it.
Read Next Blog: How To Eliminate Allergy Triggers in Your Home
It will remove the dog smell completely.